Why hello there and happy birthday to me!? LOL.
So yes, today it is 4th July and is in turn my 25th birthday, how the heck did I get so old!? JESUS!
Ahhh a quarter of a century old, how marvellous and down right scary is that!?
And whilst this year has most probably been the most awesome year of my life, I’m conscious of the impending quarter life crisis that may well rear it’s ugly head in a few weeks time when it dawns on me that my “youth” as I know it is over… Helloooo fully fledged "adult".
So with the thought of things not being quite so rosy in a few weeks time (mind over matter Megan, mind over matter) I thought I’d celebrate my birthday with a post on 25 happy moments that I’ve had and can remember from my quarter of a century on this planet. Last year I shared 24 things I’ve learnt, which you can read here if you so wish, and not wanting to replicate the same thang I thought it would be nice to share 25 happy moments and share some joy on this miserable Tuesday morning.
1. So first up we have one of my earliest memories from being around 3 or 4 years old.
I was blissfully happy, driving to Chester Zoo I believe, with my family and hanging my stuffed toy frog out of the window as we drove down the motorway, gleefully watching as it wiggled in the wind.
Before then accidentally letting go of it and watching my beloved soft toy fly at a zillion mph back down the dual carriage way… Safe to say I was utterly mortified and most probably it ruined my day and likely that of my families too (hello moaning Megan). So with that, on the return journey back home, my dad bravely stopped the car (dangerous I know) climbed over the central reservation and retrieved my little frog. From that day on my dad has been my hero, you’ll never know how happy you made me that day Pops.
2. I won my first blogging award at the Company Blog Awards back in 2014 and it was a very happy and proud moment indeed. In 2016 I went on to win two other awards at the InStyle Project 13 awards for best style influencer and at the Cosmopolitan Awards for best fashion blogger. To be recognised for my 4 years in this industry is insanely amazing and it makes me SO happy to know that you guys and the fashion industry enjoy what I do too
3. When I was at uni on my placement year in 2013 I interned for a year. I’d worked at House of Holland and ASOS and then somehow managed to bag an internship at Alexander McQueen, one of my all time favourite designers. It was SUCH a proud yet scary moment for me and I was OH SO happy (and relieved) to learn how wonderful the PR team was there, especially after all the horror stories I'd heard. I had the best time working for the fashion house and felt so happy to have that months internship under my belt.
4. 3 weeks into mine and George's whirlwind relationship, George *accidentally* let slip that he was in love with me. I knew I was feeling it too but didn’t want to be the first to say it (what are us girls like ey) I remember feeling so euphorically happy as the guy I’d pretty much been in love with since I was 16 was in love with me too. We then went to Reading Festival and had one of the best weekends of my life... Cute ey?
5. Just over a week ago now on June 23rd, I hosted a charity sale in Manchester to raise money for the We <3 Manchester emergency fund. A charity that was set up after the horrific bombings at the Arena here in Manchester on 22nd May.
I've wanted to hold a charity clothes sale for almost a year now and when this tragedy happened I knew that now was the time. It was totally scary to do, I organised it all myself, sitting in my bedroom for four days, pricing up all of my clothes, shoes and accessories by hand and packing them up ready to be sold.
When the day came around I was ridiculously nervous and totally not sure what to expect. When 12:30pm arrived and with the sale beginning at 1pm, I simply could not believe how many of you had turned up to support and to buy some of my goodies. It was totally overwhelming and if you were there, you'll know just how much I was shaking, I simply couldn't believe it! It was truly incredible to meet so many of you wonderful ladies, and fellas and was the proudest day of my entire life, in fact, I don't think I've ever felt pride quite like it, which in turn brought great happiness, especially as we raised an incredible £5,400 for the emergency fund!!!
6. Seeing my Nanna Doris cry laugh when talking about sex toys… Yeah really!!!!
7. I’ve always been a city fan; my dad is one almighty blue through and through and we’ve always been lucky enough to attend matches with him. However, when the League final came around in 2012 my mum, sister and I were watching it at home whilst my dad was at the match. United were also battling it out for the cup that day too, and when that split screen came on and Rooney thought he’d won, seeing his face turn from pure happiness to horror when he learnt that we’d bagged it in the last few minutes was absolutely flipping hilarious! We celebrated in the garden before heading to the pub with my dad and his mates, dancing on the tables and enjoying such a memorable moment for my dad was truly one of my happiest of memories.
8. More recently my beautiful sister Faye moved back home from London to start her new job at Missguided HQ, she had no idea we were all waiting for her in the garden and when she pulled up we all sang “WELCOME HOME” to her in the garden. Seeing her little face was absolutely priceless and I am SO thrilled to have my best mate back home with me.
9. Another throwback was Faye’s 6th birthday when she received a microphone with a built in tape player. Whilst she was opening her other presents I plugged that baby in, popped Martine McCutcheon’s “This is my moment” into the player and sang my little heart out all day long… On repeat. It may have been her birthday but that microphone was MINE ALL MINE (for the day at least) I thought I was a pop star in the making and truly smug with myself. Sorry 6 year old Faye hun but what can I say, I was happy.
10. For my 24th birthday last year I treated myself to my very first designer bag. My Gucci Dionysus handbag.
I went into store and tried a few on with George, before deciding upon my baby. It was SUCH a proud moment to be able to treat myself in that way. After years of following luxury design and lusting after designer pieces year in year out, to be able to go into store and have that experience, leaving with a luxury piece of my own was a insanely happy and proud moment for me indeed.
11. Last August George and I booked our first summer holiday together to Santorini. He convinced a very apprehensive me to hire a quad bike for the week and I begrudgingly agreed. Yet it was the best decision I’ve ever made.
To drive around Santorini on the back of a quad bike with my arms wrapped around the love of my life was one of those WOW moments and the happiest I’ve ever been in my life. That entire holiday was the happiest week of my life but having the freedom to explore on a quad bike with George was something I will never ever forget.
12. I couldn't talk about happy moments without mentioning every single music festival I have ever attended since I was 17. Music festivals in general have always been my happy place. Camping, the excuse for getting dirty, excessive drinking and singing along to my favourite bands with my favourite people is like nothing else. I adore festival season and cannot WAIT for this years to kick off for me.
13. My auntie Sara-Jane has always championed those “WOW” moments, the moments that make you stop and stare in awe at something oh so totally beautiful and impressive. I remember my first WOW moment was when snorkelling in Egypt and seeing the beautiful fish and colourful reef of the ocean. My favourite film has always been Finding Nemo so seeing the world that lives under the sea IRL was truly incredible indeed.
14. I’ve always been infatuated with New York since being a little girl; I dreamt of visiting and eventually moving over there, so when my parents surprised me with a trip to the Big Apple for my 18th birthday I cannot tell you how excited I was. Visiting the place I’d dreamt about my entire life was the happiest of trips and the perfect way to spend my 18th birthday.
15. EVERY time my mum properly laughs… and snorts. Honestly it’s the most infectious thing ever. My goal in life is to make her laugh, all the time FOREVER!
16. When I was 4 I spent my birthday in America with my American family and was truly and utterly thrilled when my family convinced me that the Independence Day fireworks were all for me (cute!).
17. Last year I was super lucky and totally honoured to join Team Gleam. The feeling of being part of a family really is like nothing else. Having a beautiful team of mega babes to fight my corner, work on ideas with and just be BFF’s with has changed the way I look at my career and quite frankly I can’t imagine my life without Gleam. They’ve influenced, inspired and developed me as a person and a business woman in ways they’ll never know and I am forever grateful to have been accepted into such a loving and supportive online family.
18. I was a right little gig goer when I was a teenager, those years were some of my happiest of memories thats for sure. At the time of being 14 I was OBSESSED with the band Air Traffic (anyone else?) I’d wait around the back of the venue to meet them and have them sign my Converse (that I still have FYI) and when I first met Jim Maddock, the dreamy blonde haired bass player… I was convinced we were soul mates.
However, shortly after that I was introduced to One Night Only and fell in love with George, oh life. What can I say I’m fickle.
19. When George and I moved into our first flat and created a home together thats when I learnt the meaning of true happiness.
21. Taking my blog from hobby to full time job is now one thing that makes me totally happy. Whilst at the time it was completely petrifying and such a great jump for me but I can honestly say it was the best thing I ever did. It meant I was able to create my own world be my own boss for the first time and create, create, create all day every day if I so wish. My business is something that makes me completely and utterly happy and I'll never be more proud of myself than when I took that leap of fatih back in February 2016.
22. Going on holiday with my grandad are some of my happiest of childhood memories. I think we took him away with us on 3-4 holidays to Turkey and, despite being ill for the majority of those trips, he was such a trooper and always totally hilarious in every way. I can still remember his face now having just been flung off a banana boat with Faye and I <3<3<3
23. For Christmas last year as part of George's Christmas present I booked us a stay in a Treehouse in the middle of nowhere. It was the most beautiful couple of days ever. The first day in particular was like something out of a romantic movie. We sat, on the floor in front of the log burner drinking champagne and chatting the hours away before hopping in the hot tub until the sun went down, cooking steak in our small treehouse kitchen and settling down, with yet more champagne to watch The Hunger Games. Honestly the most romantic weekend ever and one of my happiest moments with George.
24. Dancing to Steps, HearSay and SClub7 with my sister, cousins and my Nanna at EVERY SINGLE family party when we were younger (we had a lot of parties back then)
25. And finally my twenty fifth year has been my most happiest overall. I have so many things to be happy about, to be thankful and grateful for and so many things that have come up trumps this year. It's been a crazy ole rollercoaster of a year and one that I feel has really taught me a lot about who I am, what I want from life and those who I want to be along for the ride with me.
So there we have it, 25 happy memories from the last 25 years. I really hope you've enjoyed this rather personal post, it's not something I do all too often up in here but I know when I do you lot really like it so I do hope this is no exception.
It's been an amazing year being 24 and whilst I'm bloody gutted that I'm 25, I have a funny feeling this year is going to be the best one yet!
Lots of Love
Happy birthday! May all your wishes come true and may you stay as beautiful as you are!
xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
Happy Birthday M and I hope you have a wonderful day!!
I think birthdays are the best time to splash out and treat yourself to the ultimate designer piece! xx
Jenny | http://www.krystelcouture.com X
Happy birthday gorg! The santorini trip you took riding quads around exploring is SUCH a great idea! Going to have to do that one! Also made me lol that you stole your sissy’s mic of her to sing haha! I too am 25 in August and you’ve just made me feel SLIGHTLY more ok with it haha.
Happy birthday Megan XO
http://www.imogenrose.co.uk | Imogen
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOVERRRRR <3 You're one of the V best people I know and I hope you have the most magical day with G! Love you lots & lots xxxx
Holly White says
Happy Birthday Megan, it’s so lovely to read all of these memories! xxx
Natalie Scott says
Many happy returns Megan, I have been following you for around a year and am hooked on your style. Your an influence to others and dress with so much confidence which makes others follow suit. Thanks for sharing your life with the world and making it brighter place with you in it⭐️
Oh what a cute post!! Happy birthday love!
LIVING IN PLAID – Personal Style Blog from Brussels
Happy birthday, Megan! This was so lovely to read and I am IN LOVE with your outfit.
Happy birthday Megan! Loved reading this x
Madalena Rodrigues says
Loved this “tour”! you really come across as a gorgeous and lovely being… HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGAN!!! xx hope to continue following your career for years to come!
Air Traffic aha , getting hit in the nose when they threw the drumsticks into the audience, those were some good times!
Happy Birthday Megs!
Loved reading your 25 year story and wishing you the happiest birthday lovely lady. Cheers to another great year ahead! ???????
This is such a nice post and something I need to re-create!
Caz | thisiscaz.com
Happy birthday! I loved reading this post and learn something new about you! Thanks for sharing!!!
also, Just for tonight by one night only was my jam when I was 16
Happy birthday Megan!!! Thanks for all your hard work on your beautiful blog and Youtube channel xxx
Beautiful post and beaut pics! X
This was such an uplifting post Megan and you look insane as always! Happy birthday for yesterday! x
What a lush little post.
Nothing better than being in love and sharing those happy moments with them!
Hope you had a lovely birthday! I always love reading your posts and watching your vids. Hallow, stalker alert! 😛
Happy birthday for a couple of days back beautiful lady! Loved this post, so good to have such positivity with all the negative-ness going round at the moment!
Laura | roseandweston.blogspot.co.uk
Happy belated birthday Megan, I hope you had a fab day! It’s so great to hear your fave memories, I love yours and Sophie’s friendship and I too danced for hours to Hear’Say – my absolute faves!!
Britton Loves | Lifestyle Beauty Wellbeing